Skip to main content

Brisbane Hub: International Students


International Students

We are so glad you have chosen to study at our Brisbane Campus! Here you will find useful tips and hints for living and studying in Brisbane as an International Student.

Your Student Services team will be able to assist you with a wide range of enquiries and point you in the right direction for help with academic skills.

International students

International Student Guide

Your International Student Guide is full of important and useful information to help you settle into your studies and life in Australia. You may wish to download a copy for easy reference. 


International Course Guides

In your course guide you will find information about our Brisbane campus courses. 

Business & Hospitality

Tiếng Việt 
中文 (简体)
中文 (繁体)

Health & Beauty



Tiếng Việt 
中文 (简体)
中文 (繁

Brisbane Guide

There’s no denying that Brisbane has one of the best climates of all the Australian capital cities. The city’s skyline is constantly expanding vertically, as new residential buildings and office towers leap up into the sky. Beyond the city, many Brisbanites can be found living in ‘Queenslanders’, which are raised wooden houses on stilts with sweeping balconies, designed with the intention of staying cool during summer.

The lifestyle is amazing as the city features extensive open spaces, a beautiful river running through the city and easy access to stunning beaches. With almost year round sunshine there are plenty of opportunities to get out and enjoy this outdoor lifestyle.

The Brisbane Insider Guide 2018 equip international students with information about how to enjoy your new home, not just survive.

Student Visa Conditions


  • You cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session.
  • No work limits apply during recognised periods of college vacation.
  • You cannot undertake work until you have commenced your course in Australia.

Health Care

  • You must maintain adequate arrangements for Overseas Student Health Cover during your stay in Australia.

Residential Address

  • You must notify your education provider of your residential address in Australia within 7 days of arriving in Australia. 
  • You must notify your education provider of any change in your residential address within 7 days of the change.

For a full list of Student Visa Conditions, please see

Enrolment Changes

Deferring Your Studies

International students can only access a leave of absence during a course in certain limited circumstances such as a serious illness or injury or bereavement of close family members such as parents or grandparents. For a full list of limited circumstances please refer to the Enrolment and Attendance Policy and Deferring Procedure.

Transfer to Another Provider/College

International students may transfer to another institution after they complete 6 months in their principal course (highest level course that visa was granted on).

If you have not completed 6 months in their principal course then you must obtain a Letter of Release in order to transfer. A Letter of Release will only be issued in certain limited circumstances. Please see the international Student Transfer Procedure for further details.

For student visa conditions and regulations about changing courses, see the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

Health Care 

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection requires all student visa holders to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of their visa at the time of admission.

OSHC covers up to 100% of the scheduled fee for most medical services and 100% of scheduled hospital and emergency ambulance fees. You may want to consider taking out additional insurance such as dental, physiotherapy and optometry services.

Visit the Department of Health for more information on OSHC.

Medical Emergencies

In the event of a medical emergency, call 000 for emergency services and ask for an ambulance. You can also attend the emergency department at your nearest public hospital. Most treatments will not incur any out-of-pocket expenses for students with an OSHC card. Some private hospitals also offer emergency services but require an up-front payment before treating you.

For emergency and safety information, please visit Emergency & Safety page or Study in Australia website.

Emergency & Safety Apps

Australia’s Triple Zero Awareness Working Group has developed a smartphone app for iOS, Android and Windows devices to:

  • provide the caller with information about when to call Triple Zero
  • provide the caller with information about who to call in various non-emergency situations


There is a range of housing options available in Brisbane should you require accommodation while studying at Brisbane Campus. Options include student apartments (see Urbannest or UniLodge) and private rentals (see or We are also registered with the Australian Homestay Network (AHN). Click here for more information on the different housing options. 

For other possible housing options, have a look at the International Student Handbook or click here for a list of accommodation.

There are also a number of foreign language websites for accommodation:

Tips for sourcing accommodation

  • Don’t rely on photos on a website, make sure you visit the accommodation
  • Avoid paying a deposit on a place you have never seen
  • Never give out personal details to someone you’ve never met in exchange for more information about a property
  • Be aware of your rights as a tenant and get advice from the proper channels

If you need additional assistance, Student Services can help you with further resources.


The following work conditions are for Student Visa Holders only. Please refer to the following information which includes a full list of conditions and a link to Fair Work

  • You cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session (other than work which has been registered as a part of the course) 
  • No work limits apply during recognised periods of vacation offered by your education provider 
  • You cannot undertake work until you have commenced your course in Australia.

It is important to know your rights in the workplace. You have the right to fair pay and safe working environment. You can visit the Fair Work Australian government website for more information about your rights at work. 

Helpful Links

English Language Support

Need help with report writing, research skills, referencing, and/or plagiarism?

Come and make an appointment with Fabi, our on campus Academic Skills Facilitators.

Visit Learning Support page for more information.

Personal Support and Counselling

We understand you may have feelings of confusion and anxiety by encountering an unfamiliar cultural environment (culture shock).
On the Brisbane campus, we offer student counselling service. It is for personal issues and is free and confidential

  • Balancing commitments, goal setting
  • Stress or anxiety
  • Homesickness or understanding Australian culture
  • Depression
  • Any other personal topics or issues to help you succeed
  • Other special needs that may impact on your studies

Visit the Support Services page for our counsellor's contact detail.

Public Transport

From Brisbane Airport

If you are taking public transport or a taxi, have all the details including the time and the route. Maps will be available at the airport or you can print a copy before you leave.
Check the fare from airport to your accommodation using the Taxi Fare Calculator:

Student Concession

International students are eligible for a Student Concession card. A student concession card will allow you to travel on a student fare during the course of your studies. If you are enrolling into a package of courses, you will not be covered for travel during the holiday period. You are only covered for the period between your course start date and course end date. You will need to apply for a student concession card for each course you study. 

We recommend you purchase a Go Card, this is an electronic ticket that allows you to travel on TransLink’s network of bus, train, ferry and tram services, including Airtrain. It’s cheaper compared to the cost of a paper ticket; is easily topped up; offers great travel benefits and you can register your card to protect your travel balance if it is lost or stolen. For more information see:

Download the app:

Under 18s

If you arrive before your course start date or orientation day, please feel welcome to visit the campus and make contact with your International Student Advisor or Student Services Team.

We will be checking in with you in Week 1, Week 4 and Week 7 of your first study period. This is a chance for us to chat with you and give you the opportunity to ask any questions. If you are having any problems with homestay, study or life in Australia we encourage you to speak with your International Student Advisor, Student Services Team, Teachers or Student Counsellor.

Check out the International Student under 18 Procedures here.

Loading ...