Skip to main content

Melbourne Service Hub: International Students






International support

International Support

We are so glad you have chosen to study with us! Here you will find useful tips and hints for living and studying in Melbourne as an International Student.
Your Student Services team will be able to assist you with a wide range of enquiries and point you in the right direction for any help needed.

Click here to join the Facebook group and connect with the international student community!

International students

International Student Guide

Your International Student Guide is full of important and useful information to help you settle into your studies and life in Australia. You may wish to download a copy for easy reference. 


In your course guide you will find information about the courses here at the Melbourne campus. 


Tiếng Việt 
中文 (简体)
中文 (繁

Welcome to Melbourne, one of the world’s top destinations for higher education. We pride ourselves on embracing people from all walks of life: our city is home to people who come from 200 countries, speak more than 230 languages and dialects and follow more than 120 faiths. Melbourne is a great place to study and an enjoyable place to live, having recently been named the world’s most liveable city for the fourth consecutive year. Our international students make a unique contribution to our city, providing us with opportunities for broader cultural experiences and adding to the diverse atmosphere of Melbourne.

Click below to read the Internation Student Guide for Melbourne


  • You cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session.
  • No work limits apply during recognised periods of college vacation.
  • You cannot undertake work until you have commenced your course in Australia.

Health Care

  • You must maintain adequate arrangements for Overseas Student Health Cover during your stay in Australia.

Residential Address

  • You must notify your education provider of your residential address in Australia within 7 days of arriving in Australia. 
  • You must notify your education provider of any change in your residential address within 7 days of the change.

The Department of Immigration and Border Security requires all student visa holders to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of their visa at the time of admission.

OSHC covers up to 100% of the scheduled fee for most medical services and 100% of scheduled hospital and emergency ambulance fees. You may want to consider taking out additional insurance such as dental, physiotherapy and optometry services.

In the event of a medical emergency, call 000 for emergency services and ask for an ambulance. You can also attend the emergency department at your nearest public hospital. Most treatments will not incur any out-of-pocket expenses for students with an OSHC card. Some private hospitals also offer emergency services but require an up-front payment before treating you.

For emergency and safety information, please visit Emergency & Safety page.

There is a range of housing options available in Melbourne should you require accommodation while studying at Think Education Melbourne Campus. Options include student apartments (see Urbannest or UniLodge) and private rentals (see or Think Education is also registered with the Australian Homestay Network (AHN).  For other possible housing options, have a look at the International Student Handbook.

There are also a number of foreign language websites for accommodation:

Tips for sourcing accommodation

  • Don’t rely on photos on a website, make sure you visit the accommodation
  • Avoid paying a deposit on a place you have never seen
  • Never give out personal details to someone you’ve never met in exchange for more information about a property
  • Be aware of your rights as a tenant and get advice from the proper channels

If you need additional assistance, the Student Services Team can help you with further resources.

  • You cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session (other than work which has been registered as a part of the course) 
  • No work limits apply during recognised periods of vacation offered by your education provider 
  • You cannot undertake work until you have commenced your course in Australia.

It is important to know your rights in the workplace. You have the right to fair pay and safe working environment. You can visit the Fair Work Australian government website for more information about your rights at work. 

Need help with report writing, research skills, referencing, and/or plagiarism?

Come and make an appointment with Nashid, our on campus Learning and Academic Skills lecturer.

Visit Learning Support page for more information.

We understand you may have feelings of confusion and anxiety by encountering an unfamiliar cultural environment (culture shock).
On the Melbourne campus, we offer student counselling service. It is for personal issues is free and confidential

  • Balancing commitments, goal setting
  • Stress or anxiety
  • Homesickness or understanding Australian culture
  • Depression
  • Any other personal topics or issues to help you succeed
  • Other special needs that may impact on your studies

Visit the Support Services page for our counsellor's contact detail.

Loading ...

International Student Orientation Presentation