Skip to main content

Melbourne Hub

Melbourne Service Hub: Support Services

Student Services

Support Services

Supporting you through your studies is a high priority for us. Here you will find useful information, contacts and resources that you will need to you set you up for success. 

Support Options

Here on campus we offer a professional confidential counselling service free of charge to help you have a smooth and positive learning experience.

A Student Counsellor is on hand to assist you in coping with: 

  • Adjusting to new study demands
  • Transitioning to life in a new country
  • Stress, anxiety and depression
  • Work-related problems
  • Family and relationship difficulties

‚ÄčClick here to check for available appointments and to book online. You can also call Student Services on 03 9670 4026 to make a booking. Appointments run for 1 hour and are held in the counselling room on level 3. 

What is counselling?
Counselling is:

  • The process that occurs when a student and counsellor set aside time in order to explore difficulties which may include the stressful or emotional feelings of the student. 
  • The act of helping the student to see things more clearly, possibly from a different viewpoint. This can enable the student to focus on feelings, experiences or behavior, with a goal to facilitating positive change.
  • A relationship of trust.  Confidentiality is paramount to successful counselling.  Professional counsellors will usually explain their policy on confidentiality, they may, however, be required by law to disclose information if they believe that there is a risk to life. 

Counselling is not:

  • Giving advice.
  • Judgmental.
  • Attempting to sort out the problems of the student.
  • Expecting or encouraging a student to behave in a way in which the counsellor may have behaved when confronted with a similar problem in his or her own life.
  • Getting emotionally involved with the student.
  • Looking at a student's problems from the counsellor’s own perspective, based on their value system.

Frequently Asked Questions about Counselling


Q. Do I need a referral?

A. No, you do not need a referral. Contact student services or go through the booking portal to make a booking.

Q. How often do I need to come to counselling?

A. This is an individual decision and is worked out with your counsellor.

Q. How many counselling sessions should I have?

A. The counselling team is able to offer brief focused counselling which is usually up to 8 sessions. If, however you do require further ongoing support your counsellor can help support you to refer to a longer term counselling support option.

Q. What sort of topics or experiences is suitable for a counselling session?

A. Any subjects or experiences, from an everyday concern to a unique circumstance or situation are suitable for a counselling session. The counselling team is there to help address any concerns that maybe affecting your studies on some level.

 Q. How much will Counselling cost me?

A. Student Counselling on campus is a free service for all students.

Common reasons why people seek out counselling include:

  • Relationship difficulties.
  • Time management difficulties.
  • Illness, grief and loss. Life transition and adjustment issues.
  • Personal growth and understanding.
  • Addictive behaviors.
  • Sexuality and sexual identity.
  • Anxiety, stress or other coping with other feelings.
  • Loneliness.
  • Violence and abuse in the relationship.

The Melbourne Campus Student Services staff can provide academic support for current and prospective students who have an impairment, injury, illness, or health condition, whether permanent or temporary, that impacts their capacity to study.

Student Services will work with you to develop a personalised action plan based on your needs so you can meet the inherent requirements of your course while maintaining as much academic independence as possible. Student Services can help you:

  • Organise accessible course materials and other specialised assistance

  • Liaise with course coordinators on your behalf

  • Make alternative arrangements for examinations and assessment, including extra time or the use of specialised equipment

  • Give advice on individual disability related matters

  • Assist you if you are dissatisfied with decisions made about disability-related arrangements and advise you about grievance resolution procedures

Please note that you will need to provide documents completed by a health professional that support your request for assistance. Health professionals include medical practitioners, psychologists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and psychiatrists. To make an appointment to discuss your needs please contact Student Services.

Further information can be found in the Disability Policy and Disability Resource Pack

Confidentiality and Privacy

You do not need to tell us that you have a disability. However, if you require assessment and/or study adjustments or other support services you will be required to disclose

(a) that you have a disability and/or medical condition (without necessarily naming the disability/ condition), and

(b) you will need to describe its impact on your studies.

We understand the confidential nature of the information you may need to disclose in relation to your medical condition or disability, and we respect the privacy of that information. With your consent, we may advise other campus staff of the existence and nature of your disability or medical condition so they can assist in implementing any adjustments required.

We will not disclose information to any person outside the campus without specific written consent unless we are required by law to provide information.

Modified Arrangements for Assessment

We acknowledges that students may be academically disadvantaged when unforeseen circumstances such as illness impair their ability to complete their assessment tasks by or on the due date. The Assessment Policy sets out the process for applying for modified arrangements for assessment based on medical, compassionate or extenuating circumstances.


Need affordable massage or natural health services? You can get these services at our health Campus in Fitzroy.

For all Staff and Students they have $10 services in clinical myotherapy, relaxation and remedial massage, naturopathy, acupuncture and much more! Check this link out for more information and head over to visit Southern School of Natural Therapies: 

45 Victoria Street

Fitzroy VIC 3065



Campus Counsellor 

Vanessa Bryden